Feeding Problems in Children
Feeding Advice for Your Baby
- Breast Milk is the Best for your child. Just as there is no substitute for mother's love, there is no substitute for mother's milk. So keep your baby on breast milk as long as possible.
- Breast Milk provides enough water for the baby up to 4 month's age.
- Nurse baby at least 5-10 minutes on each breast.
- Putting the baby to bed with a bottle can cause choking and dental caries later.
- Avoid Honey, Ghutti, Ghaasa, Chaata, Jaifal, Harad and opium as these may be harmful.
4 - 6 Months
- Introduce your baby to solid food at about 4-6 months of age in consultation with your child specialist.
- Gradually introduce curd, boiled rice, boiled potatoes, banana & other fruits, suji kheer, sago [sabudana] kheer, khichri/dal and mashed vegetables.
- Expect the baby to make a mess with it & play with his/her food.
- Feed only one new cereal each week.
- There is no need to add salt or sugar to cereal.
- Offer baby extra water.
- Honey is a dangerous food till one year of age.
- Avoid egg/egg products till 9 months of age.
- Avoid biscuits & rice kheer till one year of age.
6 - 8 Months
- Add fruits and vegetables.
- Add mashed or finely chopped fruits and cooked vegetables.
- Feed only one new fruit or vegetable each week.
- Give fruit juice in a cup.
- Offer the following foods carefully as they may cause choking: apple slices, grapes, popcorn, nuts, seeds, candies, pieces of uncooked vegetables.
8 - 12 Months
- Can add finely chopped meat now.
- Can add eggs after 9 months of age (Measles Vaccination).
- Expect the babies to make a mess when they feed themselves.
- Always taste heated food before serving it to the baby.
12 - 24 Months
- Child can eat everything from the family pot.
- Offer small portions and never force the child to eat.
- Respect your child's likes and dislikes.
- Make meal time fun and interesting. Serve colorful food that is crunchy, smooth or warm.
- If in doubt, consult your Pediatrician.
9.30 AM - 1.30 PM
5.30 PM - 8.00 PM
9.30 AM - 1.30 PM